Does your smile look dull or unattractive due to unsightly teeth stains? At some point, we all develop discoloration. However, instead of just resorting to closed mouth smiles or avoiding social situations, why not seek treatment? Withcosmetic dentistry, there are a number of options for removing stains. In addition, practicing good oral hygiene can help your teeth stay brighter for longer periods. Find out what you need to know in order to achieve a brighter smile.
The Causes of Discoloration
Why do our teeth become stained in the first place? A variety of factors can lead to discoloration, including:
- Consuming drinks with dark pigments (coffee, tea, and soda)
- Trauma to the tooth
- The use of certain medications
The first step towards a brighter smile will involve a dental exam. During this visit, the dentist will uncover the cause of your discoloration and recommend the most appropriate treatment option.
One of the more common methods of brightening teeth involves teeth whitening. At our Bountiful office, we actually offer three types of cosmetic whitening:
- Zoom In-Office: For patients on the go, this option brightens teeth in as little as an hour. We simply coat the teeth in a bleaching solution that we activate with a special light; erasing surface stains in one visit.
- Take-Home Trays: For those interested in improving the appearance of their teeth from home, we offer Opalescence Trays. We create a custom-made set of trays and prescribe a bleaching gel. Patients then fill the trays and wear them for a set amount of time each day.
- Disposable Trays: A more cost-effective option, we provide you with disposable and prefilled trays that you wear for a certain amount of time each day.
In some cases, the stains on your teeth may be permanent and unable to be removed with traditional whitening options. Fortunately, we can mask them with porcelain veneers. By creating a custom-made thin porcelain shell, we can mask the discoloration and instantly improve the appearance of the entire tooth.
Good Oral Hygiene Habits
Finally, to reduce the severity of stains in the first place, you should maintain good oral hygiene. This includes brushing and flossing your teeth daily, as well as routine dental cleanings twice a year.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Adrian
Do you have any questions about achieving a brighter smile? Interested in improving both the health and beauty of you and your family’s smiles? Then schedule a visit with Dr. Adrian today. We proudly service the residents of Bountiful and surrounding communities. Call us today at (801) 292-7500.